Wildfire update for the Southeast Fire Centre
CASTLEGAR – The recent growth of two wildfires in the Southeast Fire Centre has prompted the Columbia Shuswap Regional District to issue two evacuation alerts – one for the Galena Bay area and another for Heather Lodge and the surrounding area.
* The Galena wildfire is about five kilometres east of Galena Bay and covers about 120 hectares, as of the afternoon of Aug. 5, 2017.
* Fourteen BC Wildfire Service personnel are working on this lightning-caused fire, supported by two helicopters and two pieces of heavy equipment.
* This fire is highly visible from the Galena Bay area and Highway 23.
* As a precautionary measure, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District has issued an evacuation alert for the Galena Bay area. For more information about this alert, call the Columbia Shuswap Regional District at 250 805-2020, or visit: http://www.csrd.bc.ca
Mountain Creek fire
* The BC Wildfire Service is working in conjunction with Parks Canada on the 1,583-hectare Mountain Creek fire that’s burning in Glacier National Park.
* On Aug. 4, 2017, embers from this fire blew across a containment line and started another fire. Crews are working to contain this eight-hectare spot fire with the aid of air support and heavy equipment.
* To learn more about the Mountain Creek fire and others fires burning in Glacier National Park, please visit the Parks Canada website at: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/glacier
* As a precautionary measure, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District has issued an evacuation alert for Heather Lodge and the area outlined in green on the district’s document posted at: http://ow.ly/C8x330ecbqy
* Anyone who wants to learn more about this evacuation alert can call or email the Columbia Shuswap Regional District using the contact information included in that document.
The Southeast Fire Centre extends from the U.S. border in the south to the Mica Dam in the north and from the Okanagan Highlands and Monashee Mountains in the west to the B.C.-Alberta border in the east. The Southeast Fire Centre includes the Selkirk Natural Resource District and the Rocky Mountain Natural Resource District.
To report a wildfire or open burning violation, call *5555 on a cellphone or 1 800 663-5555 toll-free. For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, visit: www.bcwildfire.ca
You can also follow the latest wildfire news:
* On Twitter: http://twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
* On Facebook: http://facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo