A little history: Halloween is celebrated in Canada on October 31. It is a day to mark the single night in the year when, according to old Celtic beliefs, spirits and the dead can cross over into the world of the living.
Some people hold parties and children may trick-or-treat in their neighborhood.
There are those people that put a lot of effort into decorating their homes, yards and driveways. They may even construct life-size replica graveyards or dungeons and invite people from the neighborhood to view their creations or hold a themed party. Other people may organize fancy dress parties for adults or children. Popular activities at parties include watching horror films and trying to make fellow guests jump in fright.
Many children go out to play trick-or-treat. They dress up as ghosts, witches, skeletons or other characters and visit homes in their neighborhood. They ring doorbells and, when someone answers, they call out “trick-or-treat”. This means that they hope to receive a gift of candy or other snacks and that they are threatening to play a trick if they do not get anything. Usually, they receive a treat and tricks are rarely carried out.
There are special types of food associated with Halloween. These include candies in packets decorated with symbols of Halloween, toffee apples made by coating real apples with a boiled sugar solution, roasted corn, popcorn and pumpkin pie or bread. Halloween beer, which is made by adding pumpkin and spices to the mash before fermenting it, is also available in specialist stores.
Children also take part in a long-standing Canadian tradition of “Trick-or-Treat for Unicef”. Pumpkin-carving contests, pumpkin art tours, a reading marathon, and symbolic Walks for Water are just a few examples of the educational and fundraising activities schools and children develop to help provide thousands of children developing countries with basic quality education.
HAPPY HALLOWE’EN – CRESTON LIONS & LEOS
Serving FREE COTTON CANDY
4:30 – 6:30 pm
Creston & District Community Complex
Prizes, candy, carnival-like games for children 11 and under.
Come in Costume – See you there!
A chill on the back of your neck for All Hallow’s Eve
It’s nice for the majority of BC today, but the cold chill of haunted spirits and advancing arctic air are breathing down our necks. An arctic push of air will see a major change in the weather tomorrow.
An upper trough pushing down from the north at first, then an upper shortwave trough will spawn a surface low near Vancouver Island. This pair of upper trough and surface low will do two things. The first is the surface low will develop its own cold front and pull the cold Arctic air offshore, bringing the cold air to the coast. The second is that the upper trough sitting off of Vancouver Island by Friday morning will result in a southwest upper flow across the southeast corner of B.C. Near the coast, this offshore low will induce some outflow winds and bring cold air in the low levels. We are forecasting a rise in the 1000-500mb thickness, so while it may continue to snow in the mountains, some low valley bottoms may either warm up with this flow (if the cold air gets flushed out) or see freezing rain (if the cold air is deep enough by Friday to resist the warm push of air).
Nelson BC Weather —Today Mainly sunny. Increasing cloudiness near noon. High 7. Tonight Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Snow level lowering to 1600 metres overnight. Low plus 3. Wed, 1 Nov Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Snow level 1300 metres. High 8. Night Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low plus 1. Thu, 2 Nov Rain or snow. High plus 3. Night Rain or snow. Low zero. Fri, 3 Nov Periods of snow. High plus 2. Night Periods of snow. Low zero. Sat, 4 Nov Periods of snow or rain. High plus 2. Night Rain showers or flurries. Low minus 1. Sun, 5 Nov Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. High plus 4. Night Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 3. Mon, 6 Nov Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. High plus 4.
This Halloween Safety infographic provides tips on:
Detailed description of the Halloween Safety infographic:
Costume safety (Looking good out there)
- While kids (and adults!) may be focused on a costume that impresses friends, try to keep safety top of mind:
- Wear a light-coloured or bright costume, reflective tape or arm bands to heighten visibility.
- Make sure the costume that is properly fitted to reduce the chance of tripping on it.
- Select a costume that is constructed from flame-retardant materials.
- Make sure your vision is not restricted. Consider completing your costume with make-up not masks.
- Shoes should fit properly even if they do not go well with a costume.
- Create a fun necklace with string and glow sticks to keep kids visible to cars. Or accessorize with a flashlight!
- “Fake”: Swords, knives and guns part of your costume? Make sure they look fake but remember, some people still may not be able to tell the difference.
Be Street Smart
Pedestrian Safety (Hit the sidewalk)
- If parents can’t go with children, have another parent older sibling or babysitter go with them. Tell them to stay on the sidewalks – no jaywalking, not even to get to that really cool decorated house.
- Stay away from animals you don’t know. Pets get frightened on Halloween.
Plan ahead (Make a plan)
- Parents should be aware of the route that their children plan to follow
- Ensure your child is wearing a watch or has a cell phone to meet the agreed-upon curfew.
Safety in Numbers
- Older children trick-or-treating without an adult should walk in groups and stay together
- Older children should know what to do to get in touch with you in case of an emergency.
- Make sure your child knows the places along his or her route where they can get help.
- In many BC communities, the use of fireworks is strictly prohibited by law.
- Fireworks aren’t kids play: Every Halloween children and adults end up at hospital emergency rooms for firework-associated injuries.